Thursday, December 30, 2010

And Just Like That, It Was Gone…

I’m speaking, of course, of 2010. I spent nearly two years saving and planning for 2010. The big 2010: the year I was going to do Europe!! Well I’ve been living the plan and spending the money and the year has somehow out-run me! I can’t believe I’ve lived here for eight months now. I feel like I haven’t even started yet.

So what have I been up to? Since the last time I wrote, the definite highlight has been going to the West End production of Les Misérables. Seeing that show in London’s west end was the only thing I really had my heart set on doing while in England and now I can tick that one off the list! It was beautiful… and the guy who played Jean Valjean was brilliant. Of course, as always, nothing could ever compare to the book but I’m really glad I went.

Then, after a couple of months in London with the freezing temperatures and heaviest snowfall for twenty years, I returned to Italy to spend some time with friends over Christmas and New Year’s. Besides, would you believe, I am STILL waiting on my registration with the Health Professionals Council. I lodged the application in June. They told me it would take four months… We are now two days away from January… Bureaucracy really is the Achilles heel of a well-functioning society. And let me tell you, England’s red tape could wrap the Earth up like a Christmas present and still have enough ribbon left for a couple of the other planets who might be jealous.

Anyway, I’m really looking forward to getting back to England and finding a job and an apartment. I’m getting over living out of a suitcase and constantly having to calculate how many kilos I’ve added to it! I keep having to leave things behind with random people or mail things back to myself so my suitcase stays at optimum flying weight!

Getting back to this year… Every December, I sort of think about the year to come, and get a sense of what I want that year to be about. I saw 2010 as a Fresh Start. Over 2008/9 many things in my life changed and this year was about starting again with new perspective, new purpose and a clean slate. I wanted to clear all my previous assumptions and preconceived ideas off the table and see the world, my life, the universe, and eternity with completely fresh eyes. I can honestly say, that now – in December! – I finally feel like the fresh start is here. I feel a shift in my thinking and perspective. I feel like I’m seeing the world with new eyes. It’s really liberating…!

And next year? Maybe I’ll tell you about it once next year actually arrives… stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment