Sunday, July 18, 2010

Realism is in the Eye of the Beholder

Yes, that’s my opinion. Realism is in the eye of the beholder. Perhaps your philosophical juices are already flowing and you are thinking, “That’s an oxymoron. Isn’t realism about seeing things as they really are? Reality is about what is beheld, not about who is beholding it.”

My answer is this: any person claiming a completely objective view of reality is the oxymoron. Everyone sees the universe, history, eternity and “reality” through the lens of their own values, worldview and experience.

That aside, what I really wanted to discuss is the prevalence of these so-called ‘realists’ in society today; and especially in my own generation (Generation X, that is).

Some people call me an optimist because I think that non-violent social change is possible, and because I think that selfishness, exploitation and oppression can be overcome by breaking vicious cycles with creativity and courage. Why am I labelled an unrealistic optimist while the nay-sayers shake their heads dismissively and accept the status quo?

It seems to me that the favourite pastime of pessimists is to masquerade as realists. “The world sux and I see it as it is. I agree with your ideals in theory, but I know better – they will never work.”

Why is it acceptable for the pessimists to brand themselves 'realists' and everyone else ignorant optimists? (Don't forget to say the word 'optimist' with your best injection of sarcasm). Or, is there really no such thing as realism since reality is always interpreted by subjective beings?

I find it interesting that a generation, which, by and large, does not believe in absolute truths, (let’s face it, we live in a pluralistic society) is so quick to claim absolute knowledge of reality and the state of the universe. Perhaps it is necessary to make this claim in order to justify their proliferation of hopelessness and despair. Or perhaps it is nothing more than a violent reaction to the disappointing maxims of modernity which promised to fix the world, and didn't deliver. Whatever the cause, it is certain that self-professed realism is frequently used as a license to complain without censure.

My generation is particularly guilty of this. Tori Amos (a GenX singer) put it like this:

“Our generation has an incredible amount of realism, yet at the same time, it loves to complain and not really change; because if it does change, then it won’t have anything to complain about.”

Harsh but true, I think.

People called Martin Luther King Jr. and Mahatma Ghandi incurable optimists when they campaigned for the liberation of their respective oppressed people groups. That is, until they succeeded. Then, all of a sudden, their optimistic “pipedreams” were a reality. African-Americans gradually gained equal rights in the U.S. and India regained its independence Ghandi’s way: non-violently. Who had ever heard of a country kicking out its oppressors without a war?!

So what is reality? I'll leave it for you to decide, but I think realism is the ability to understand the state of affairs, imagine a better reality and employ creative strategies to realise it. Realism must lead to practical response, otherwise, in my opinion, it is nothing more than self-indulgent pessimism.

“The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.” (William Arthur Ward)

I don’t really care what term gets applied to my life in the end: Pessimist, Optimist, Realist. I just want to be someone who adjusted the sails while everyone else was busy discussing the contrary wind.

2 comments:

  1. Yay Tania. Personally I think the naysayers are a combination of lazy and scared. Change is scary and sitting back and complaining is the easy option. I put the Ghandi quote "be the change you want to see in the world" on the kids bathroom mirror years ago. It's possible to both see the 'reality' of the world at present and envision how it could be and work towards that. Reality is not stable after all. Every choice made changes reality and as you say none of us perceive the world in the same way. We are all the sum of our experiences. I think as a society we have lost the belief that an individual can change the world, we've basically bought into the whole victim mentality. Only now we call it 'realism'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh bravo RH! I totally agree with you. I like what you said: "reality is not stable after all" - that's a good one! Can I quote you some time?! hehe

    (No seriously, one day, if I ever write a book, I would honestly use that one!)

    And yeah - victim mentality is rife!

    ReplyDelete