Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Autumn Leaves on Skinny Trees

Yes, it’s true, I have been in the U.K. for a couple of weeks now and I have not told you guys anything about it. There are a number of contributing factors to this: busyness, laziness and the logistics of moving to a new place being among them. However, if I’m honest, I guess the primary reason for my silence is that I’ve just been missing Italy too much to concentrate effectively on my new surroundings.

I never expected it would be so hard to leave Siena. I guess I need to cut myself some slack though; I did live there for five months, make some amazing friends, and have the best summer of my life! It was difficult to leave it all behind. Moreover, I don’t yet have a place to really settle into here. The instability makes it easy to look back in the direction of Tuscany where I was comfortable and happy.

Anyway… once I put gothic edifices and fields of poppies and sunflowers out of my head, I was able to see the new type of beauty around me. England’s landscape is rather unique and, I might add, quite beautiful. Since I arrived I’ve been staying in Kent, which is affectionately known as “the garden of England” – and with good reason too. It’s gorgeous.

Little winding laneways enclosed by skinny, tall trees. Vibrant deciduous leaves contrasted against vast green lawns. Tudor and Victorian style houses sprinkled throughout the old streets. Little country churches. Pretty, pruned gardens. Stacks of history.

That’s Kent.

I’ve been staying with some distant relations: a retired couple who are just the best! They have been so good to me and I couldn’t have asked for a better starting point. They have helped to make the settling-in process a little smoother; though I must admit it has been more emotionally draining than I anticipated. There are also SO MANY things to organise to get yourself set up in a new country. I tip my hat – or perhaps it’s more accurate to say, beanie – to anyone who has ever immigrated!!

The other day a friend asked me if I was working yet, or still living “the life”. I said that I planned on living the life until January! Why not! I worked darn hard to save the funds for this period and, I also must mention the generosity of my family and the Australian Taxation Office whose gifts have bolstered the funds!! It’s my birthday tomorrow and my family have definitely given me the best present they could: their support for this little dream of mine. I have wanted to do this European thing since I was thirteen! So, yeah, I guess you can say I’m living the life I want to live. I’ll be sure to be grateful for that every time I see the autumn leaves on the skinny trees.

2 comments:

  1. Buon Compleanno :)
    ...e buona permanenza in terra d'Albione :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grazie mile Polideuce! :) Mi manca tanto il tuo paese!!! Anche se l'Inghilterra è bella

    ReplyDelete