Wednesday, May 12, 2010

It Baroque My Heart

Yesterday I ventured out to see the Trevi Fountain; a massive Roman water feature completed in the late 18th century. It is a gigantic masterpiece of the Baroque period that, today, flows more abundantly with tourists than with circulated water. Having arrived there by myself via the Metro (the local underground train network), no one was around to prepare me for the sight.

I could not believe my eyes when I saw the hundreds of camera-clad bodies crowding around the base of the fountain. Not only did this detract from the beauty of the place, but it also made the fountain seem as though it was not a part of everyday Rome; it was just an unconnected anomaly to be gawked at. I am aware of the hypocrisy of what I am saying, as I, myself, was nothing more than a visitor with a point-and-shoot. However, I left wondering whether this place was ever just a regular Roman hang out.

Did people ever stop there just to have a break from the horse and carriage, or tie up a shoelace, or have a couple’s argument? Or has it always drawn a deluge of happy-snappers? Ok, so a hundred years ago perhaps it was more like a pack of amateur artists. I know it’s beautiful, and well, since coming to Rome I’ve decided that there’s no art form more beautiful than Baroque; but surely people have, at some time, treated the Trevi Fountain like any other bit of sidewalk.

Though I’m not quite sure what I think about all this yet, I do feel a sense of uneasiness about the whole phenomenon of tourism. How long have open-top buses and microphoned tour guides been the object of unceasing demand? Tourism has its individual and social benefits, to be sure, but coupled with consumerism, it has become an insane whirlwind of Contiki, cookie-cutter experiences.

Like I said, I’m not sure what I think yet, but the words of Ferris Beuller spring to mind:

“…isms, in my opinion, are not good. A person should not believe in an ism.”

- Ferris Beuller’s Day Off

2 comments:

  1. mmm yeh...
    I think I know how you feel Tania. Maybe you should go to these sites at like really obscure hours like 6 in the morning - just so you get some kind of distance from the clappers of hyper-tourism.
    I just searched for the fountain online and it looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, far out - it is really beautiful. Baroque is the most gorgeous art form; it's stunning. I would go at some ungodly hour, but Rome is not the safest place in the world!! Maybe you could come with me some time ;)

    ReplyDelete