Monday, May 3, 2010

My Favourite Band Sux

In 2000, Lifehouse released No Name Face - a refreshingly raw album lacking only in cliches and the usual hit machine formulas. It might not have been the most astounding musical set ever to be released, but I believed the lyrics and I related to the stories. That is rare these days.

Their subsequent albums had some gems too, but there was always the token pop song. More and more stuff got added to Jason Wade's voice with each passing record, but still, the love was strong.

In 2010, however, something has gone terribly wrong. The uber-bleached hair, the uber-pop sound and the sometimes unbearable lyrics have drowned the vulnerability, originality and honesty that I loved so much.

Why do bands sell out to the mainstream?

Maybe nobody cares about this except me, but I can't help feeling disappointed...

2 comments:

  1. I CARE TANIA! haha they are my 13th most played band over the last 3 and a half years http://www.last.fm/user/ddgcreative

    Was their last album absolutely terrible? I haven't heard it. Maybe you should write to them and complain.

    Dear Jason,

    Smoke and Mirrors suck. No really, it sucks, and you need to change something. Do you have any unreleased demos from when you were writing No Name face and Stanley Climbfall? Because if you do, go into a studio and record them, then release them as another album to redeem yourselves.

    Thankyou

    your loving fan
    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! Brilliant! I give you full permission to print that off and send it on my behalf!

    Oh thank goodness YOU care Davo! That's why we're friends! And yes, the latest album sux. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance (I scanned through it and was too disgusted to listen to each track fully) but I was not impressed. There was one really good track which I knew of before the album came out coz I watched a live performance of it on youtube but on the album they've put tons of stuff on his voice and it's lost all the vulnerability and authenticity of the live performance. The earlier albums were much more raw. I prefer that so much more because it feels like there's less distance between the singer and the listener.

    ReplyDelete