Thursday, May 27, 2010

To Sir With Love

I love my Italian teacher.

Ok, so he is much older than me and I love him in a completely unromantic and unscandalous way, but still… It is worth confessing. He is the Claudio of “Claudia & Claudio” fame, and is the most encouraging, empowering and good-humoured teacher I’ve ever had. Needless to say I am really enjoying his class. (Claudia is also a great teacher, though perhaps I admire her more for her sweetness and impeccable fashion sense than her charisma).

Right now I am sitting on my bed, listening to “Daughters” by John Mayer, and typing out this blog (into a Word document because my apartment has no internet yet!) My bed is a fascinating little piece of work. It’s what I imagine army cots to be like: minimalistic in size, comfort and appeal. If my bed at home is a king single, then this single bed must be the court-jester version. Or maybe it wouldn’t even be permitted into the royal court. Perhaps a more accurate description is, ‘the peasant single’. At any rate, I have vastly improved the quality of my sleep by purchasing a second blanket. Apparently the heating gets shut off in May and I am yet to discover an Italian bed that would deign to array itself in anything as practical as a doona.

Since yesterday I have been reflecting on the wonderful people I have met here in Siena. We have already discussed the fabulous Claudio (don’t worry, I’m not tempted to pull out my liquid liner and write “I Love You” on my eye lids like one of the students in that film!) but there are several others that deserve a mention also.

Sandy is the first girl I saw as I walked into the reception area of the school. She smiled, I smiled, and the rest is history. We have hung out together every day since. Sandy is Swiss and speaks enough languages to put Google Translator to shame. We see the world in a very similar way and I really appreciate how uncomplicated, kind and intelligent she is.

My roommate, Roberta, is an Italian law student who speaks no English. I told her that in a month’s time maybe we could have a proper conversation (better stay on top of my Italian homework!) She is clean, friendly and generous; and consequently, very easy to live with – thank God!

Caroline is another Swiss girl who is so much fun! There is always laughter and interesting conversation when she is around. The final mention goes to Julia, a young American girl who has only been out of high school a couple of years but has already attended universities in multiple countries. Though she is seven years younger, she is very sweet and easy to have around.

I could talk about the check-out-chick at my local supermarket, or the guy at the local tobacconist (the Italian version of the milk bar), but I’d be scraping the barrel for anything more detailed than: ‘I like them!’

That’s all I’ve got today. I’m pretty tired since Sandy and I joined a local gym and went for the first time last night. The day before that, I went to Assisi and the day before that, I did a six-hour trek around Chianti! I’m tired!! Think I may have to retire to my peasant single a little earlier tonight.

Hopefully once I get settled here I will be blogging more regularly. Until next time…

Arrivederci!

No comments:

Post a Comment