Monday, May 10, 2010

Rome

Rome is a city like no other. Over 2000 years of mind-numbing history which includes an abundance of martyrs, gladiators, popes, emperors, master artists and great thinkers.

Unfortunately today you are more likely to encounter a gladiator outside the Colosseum who poses for photos with tourists and says things like, “Darling, you’re so sexy. What’s your name? Paradise?”

(Yes, that actually happened).

As for the popes: they are the reason the Colosseum is now a pile of bare columns and empty archways. The popes of history stripped many of the grand Roman monuments of their bronze, marble and whatever else might come in handy to make the Vatican the extravagant spectacle it is today. Don’t get me wrong, the place is impressive, but it’s kind of sad to think that it came at the expense of many other historical artifacts.

What about the master artists you say? Today they are con artists. From the street vendors who appear miraculously with dodgy umbrellas when it’s raining, to the locals who benevolently offer to help you at the self-service ticket machines at Termini Station. Of course if you accept their offers of help you are likely to discover it comes at a price.

Today I said no to one of these offers while purchasing my train ticket, only to receive a counter-offer:

“Would you like to kiss me?” asked a dirty (literally and metaphorically) old man.

“No,” said I with certainty.

“Not even one?”

“NO!”


Ugggh…

At least they leave you alone once you say no. How they would ever get a yes surely lies within the realm of the paranormal, but I guess you can’t stop them from trying.

Martyrdom seems to be abating in the ‘Eternal City’, however there are still some people dying for their beliefs today; namely those pedestrians who believe cars will stop for them at the designated crossing.

Thankfully the days of imperialism have ended, but I’m sure there are still some great thinkers around. One thing I do admire about this city is how it draws people who want to learn, to experience culture, and to connect with history. Hopefully during my time here in Italy, I will achieve a little of that.

4 comments:

  1. "Paradise", oh my that cracked me up.

    It's funny what we expect of other countries. Our imagined worlds are far different to reality but that doesn't make the experience less worthwhile. Rome, Paris, New York and the like are romantic creations, we forget that they have moved with modern times as well. It's kinda like people coming to Aus and expecting kangaroos at the airport.

    I love the juxtaposition of old and new. I'm thinking that you will have the best experience in your year working your way through the maze of expectations, reality and surprises. Much better than people who go for 2 wks and follow the manufactured tourist path and never really get a chance to experience different cultures in all their wondrous variety.

    Plus there's nothing like actually putting your hand on a piece of carved stone and knowing that it holds 2000 years of history, I always think you can almost feel it pulse under your hand. Even if Mario in his faux leather gladiator outfit is trying to pick you up at the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rusty! Yeah I guess I didn't know what to expect when I came here. It's such a unique city. The artwork did exceed expectations though. Michaelangelo and Raphael - wow. You just don't see talent like that anymore.

    I definitely prefer to experience the everyday-ness of a place rather than the tourist route. I'm really looking forward to getting a feel for the everyday here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "How they would ever get a yes surely lies within the realm of the paranormal". HAHA CLASSIC.

    Mmm so was rome disappointing? Its hard to judge through this blog post. I feel as if you were, but it doesn't say that anywhere. I feel as if I have to stretch back to school days and use my year 12 english analytical skills! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hhaha - so what did your analysis find?

    I'll save you the work... I was amazed by some things and disappointed by others. The Vatican far exceeded my expectations but the Roman Ruins / Colosseum were not as grand as I expected (probably because they were stripped by the Vatican of all their impressive bits!)

    Rome is incredible though, just for the sheer age and history of the place. Plus I didn't see a great deal of it really. I was there less than a week. The food was REALLY disappointing though! Food's much better in Siena :)

    ReplyDelete